Saturday, February 14, 2009

One week home

I can't believe we have been home a full week already. In some ways, it seems like we never left. Our older kids are all back in school, activities are back in swing and Mike is back to work. But life is far from normal!

Geta and Tamene continue to do as well as can be expected, but it is a challenge to keep Geta entertained and maintain Tamene's schedule. I think they are both a little bored with just me and Lisa here. They, of course, take it in stride, but they are thrilled when other kids arrive home to play with them.

Geta continues to understand more and more English, but doesn't say very much. So far, other than letters and numbers, she says "more", "water", says all of our names, plays peek-a-boo asking "where's (insert name here)?... Peek-a-boo!" and "all done". She continues to expand her diet slightly each day, but she is pretty picky about food. She whines a lot which Mike and I are both hoping will go away when she can communicate better. She is frustrated that Courtney isn't here very much. Courtney is definitely the highlight of her life right now. Geta has really taken to electronic devices. She loves the ipod, washing machine and digital camera. She is not very interested in the TV, but also likes to play Candyland, Bingo and Mancala. Well, she is only happy as long as she wins! She definitely has a competetive streak!


Tamene is learning how to "touch nice" instead of hitting. It was totally adorable yesterday at lunch when he reached out for my hand and laid it on the table. Then he started rubbing it with a very expressive look on his face. I was so proud of him! We continue to have several temper tantrums a day as we try to regulate his sleep and eating schedule. He does better when we get out of the house. (Oh and by the way, he still HATES his bath. He screams just at the mention of it!)

I ventured out to Target with Geta and Tamene on Friday. They were both nervous and totally overwhelmed by the store. We just walked up and down the aisles and looked at different things. By the end of our time there, Geta had found several items she wanted to purchase. I picked one of them and then after we checked out, she announced to the entire line behind us in a very gleeful voice, "All Done!" She was very proud of herself!
More soon,
Kristen

1 comment:

  1. One week - wow! Time flies when you're having fun, no? ;) I'm sure Mike mentioned that my sister and I ran into him in the parking lot of the grocery store. I peeked into the back at Geta but didn't want to freak her out so I only yelled hi and then walked away from the window. Hopefully she won't always remember me as the weird lady who yelled at her and then ran away :). Hope all is going well. Let's talk soon!

    ReplyDelete